Skip to main content

Flock - Your New Favourite Browser?

I've just recently discovered a new browser (new to me, anyway) called 'Flock - The Social Web Browser'.
It has a lot of cool stuff in it, including a pane that opens up that keeps track of all your feeds, a blog editor (with which I'm using to write this entry), upload photos straight to flickr or photobucket, add shortcuts straight to del.icio.us, upload videos straight to youtube, and a lot of other cool stuff.

Now, I know what you're thinking; 'Hang on though, bruh, I'm using Firefox and it's multifarious extensions which have taken me months, nay, years to set up!'
Well, the good thing is, is that you can use those same Firefox extensions with Flock - just go to the Mozilla Firefox website and install in the usual way.
Through looking at the Flock forums, I also discovered you can just transfer the Firefox Extension folder to Flock and most of your extensions will work with Flock as well, including Scrapbook, BBCode, ViewMyCurrency, Mouse Gestures, etc, etc. You can force compatibility too.

It feels like I'm using Firefox right now, but with all the new stuff that Flock brings.

Check it out, anyway.


Blogged with Flock

Comments

  1. What... another browser, just figured out how to open and close Firefox... oh man i'm getting too old for this @#$!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks interesting. Currently downloading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HERE'S the link with the q&a about moving extensions - where to find the folders etc..

    He does recommend starting Flock at least once before moving the Extensions folder over.

    As I said, once moved over, some extensions may need to be forced to be compatible by going up to Tools, Addons, and there is a "Make All Compatible" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmmmm.......you're a bad influence Fletch.
    Just when I was getting the hang of the Mac and Firefox, you tempt us with more tweaks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup--I'd use that. Except I can't be bothered creating a new bookmarks toolbar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. KG, that's the beauty - it imports your bookmarks, browsing history, cookies from Firefox or IE. I imported my Firefox ones and I just continued on like nothing happened :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I couldn't find anything about the bookmarks toolbar from my quick scan.
    Thanks I.M. I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flock works well.
    At the end of the day it's tough to squeeze out Firefox once you have installed the extensions your need.

    Personally, I'm trying to move most of my bookmarks and feeds etc out onto web services independent of browsers or machines.
    With that in mind I reccommend netvibes and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, I'll look em up :)
    I have never used delicious before, but I think you can post em to delicious from Flock with the press of a button? It's one of the 'Services' you can activate in Flock. (see list in the My World tab).

    I've got most of my extensions transferred over to Flock now just by copying over that Extension folder from Firefox.

    I think that's a bonus for Firefox users.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.