Skip to main content

Friday night free for all

Friday night.

Time to chat.

Drop in anytime.

Comments

  1. Off to get the Friday Pizza and Iskander. Back later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all;
    Its been quiet around here recently and I have been very quiet indeed.

    I am just gobsmacked by the Chris Carter thing and sickened by John Key's persistance with the ETS thing and his sellout for political advantage of the foreshore etc

    But how to post on such things and keep it as seemly as this blog requires is beyond my abilities.

    We live in a broken world - today I visited with a sick woman who was thrilled because she had a five dollar gift voucher from the supermarket and bought some vita crisp and a nice spread to go on them - a real treat for her, which stands in stark contrast to Chris Carter's massages in Cambodia and flowers for his boyfriend - no ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got A- for fluid mechanics. Missed out on an A by 3%. missed out on topping class by 4%.Have inkling on how the All Whites feel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zen, Andrei and Ciaron!

    Andrei, that's humbling, really. A cause for happiness because of a $5 voucher. I spend amounts like that without thinking.

    Ciaron, you still did really well! Just be happy and try harder next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A- for fluid mechanics whoo hoo those
    Navier Stokes equations are seriously hard you know the phrase.

    Hell A- for fluid mechanics beats a A+ for gender studies by about 2000 parsecs probably more.

    In my day the subject was called continuum mechanics I loved it - couldn't do it now. my brain has atrophied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just spent most of today homeschooling, lots of dishes (no new dishwasher yet), some tidying because my 9 year old wasn't feeling well enough for a full day of work today... and then agonising over what to buy from the US for my 13 year old's writing curriculum.

    Oh, and my Latin order arrived today - very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening everyone.
    Yes, Key's persistance with ETS is a worry.
    He raises the odds of it costing him his job, the longer he delays on the inevitable u-turn.
    As for the seashore, it was also a worry to see all that land north of Kaitaia potentially affected.
    At least Key is not a "crazed sex poodle."
    I doubt Julia Gillard is either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Howdy folks, end of a very busy week. I'm so far behind on all the news (or at least the details)

    Firstly, the important stuff: congratulations Ciaron, great result. That's definitely good news.

    Also, great result for the All Whites. Funny that three draws actually represents a great result for NZ, sometimes it's not just about winning.

    Hopefully, we will see continued growth in NZ football.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is anyone asking if we are doing puns tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Evening all. Wont be with you long as am a little tired. Am football mad so have been up half the night, every day of the week and need an early night.

    I dream of an A-. Well done Ciaron.

    Cant think of any puns Zen Tiger. Apart from the class I wondered why the soccerball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard this one from Rudd:

    I couldn't quite remember how to throw a boomerang, but eventually it came back to me.

    Or was that karma that came back?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ciaron, if you haven't noticed, some well wishes from Crusader Rabbit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrei,

    I think I'm in the brain atrophied zone as well. I'm keeping up with my 13 year old's math ... just. I'm hoping that'll I'll be able to do that for a while longer without having to study the same lessons, just so I can explain to him where he goes wrong, when he does that is.

    At least we are not at the calculus level yet, I can't even remember what that is!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A character in the Tintin books?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That would be Cuthbert Calculus with a Capital C Oswald.

    With a lower c calculus becomes the language of science and engineering

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andrei,

    I hope you find your blogging voice again. I lost mine for a while. It comes and goes, but I can relate to what you said in your first comment about how to post on the stupidity and blatant evil around us. That's the challenge, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope so too Lucyna.

    The woman I mentioned above is dying in poverty - I feel helpless, i do what I can which is little enough.

    And when you see this and the other things I have seen in recent months the goings on of the rich famous and powerful seem so banal. I don't really feel inclined to talk about them too much.

    I was recently exposed to an example of the most blatant hypocrisy on the part of a highly paid government official, upper echelon - it would make a great blog post but I can't use it, it relates peripherally to the woman above. Its a story I will find a way to tell sometime.

    Anyway I have added a new link to the Catholic section - it is a feed of my own creation built with the intention of putting out into the noise that swamps the internet the daily life of the Church for each day - It is Orthodox not Latin Catholic but applies to Byzantine Catholics. Hope it fits there in your mind. Perhaps in time we can align it with the Latin Church as well.

    It was conceived when I sat by my mothers coffin in the Church the night before her funeral and came into existence shortly thereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lucyna,
    I highly recommend this as a maths reference.

    It covers absolutely everything from basic addition to university level.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for that, Ciaron. It looks very comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Andrei,

    When it comes to death, we are helpless. There's nothing much we can do to prevent it, death can only be held back for so long.

    The woman you've been visiting will remember you as an angel during her times of darkness, and I'm sure once she's in Heaven she will be a great advocate for you.

    The link you've added looks wonderful. Though, maybe it needs it's own section, rather than being mixed in with the Blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Our oven element broke a couple of weeks ago, so I am right now trying to heat a frozen lasagne for my 9 year old using the grill. I'm not sure how successful I'll be. I've already had to throw away the melted plastic liner and container and wrap it all in foil.

    My older son and Mr Maria are both away tonight at a swimming competition, so it's a downgraded dinner for myself and the 9 year old.

    I hope the lasagne works. Last time I tried to cook a frozen lasagne for him, the oven element burst into flames and consequently, broke.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe God is trying to tell you something? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's either; learn how to cook using the grill (the grill and I are not friends, the best I know to burn stuff is to use the grill), or renovate the kitchen. I'm going with renovate the kitchen, as it seriously annoys me (no bench space or storage space, and a great big walk-in pantry that dominates it, all circa 1970 or so).

    But, the lasagne worked. I grilled with foil for 40 minutes or so, 20cm away from the grill, and then opened up the foil and blasted it directly for 5 min. Slightly burnt the top, but according to my son, it's softer than when cooked in the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  24. by the way, apparently you can get Stroud as an e-book for free. But me being a sucker paid $140 for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. At least you'll have it if the power ever goes out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Evening, I'm a day late catching up on Friday's chat.

    Andre, I second Lucia: your story is humbling.

    Re the hypocrisy, is it possible to tell the story in general so it doesn't identify particular people or events?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.