Skip to main content

I've never been on the pill

Thankfully, during all the years of my confusion over right and wrong, I never went on the pill. I knew that was wrong, taking chemicals to mess with my fertility. I objected to it on health grounds, having known so many women whose hormones were wrecked though the pill, some of whom still managed to get pregnant. I really wondered what the point was.

However, my husband and I have contracepted through other means, until I returned to the Catholic faith that is. And I can tell everyone that our marriage has been greatly enhanced by not using contraception any more. It's different, really different. I feel more respected and more.

Approaching one's spouse with a genuine openness to the possibility of parenthood represents one of the most profound expressions of love and total acceptance of the other person in marriage. When a husband and wife are truly open to life in their marital relations, it is as if they are looking each other in the eye and saying, "I love you so much that I am even willing to embark on the adventure of parenthood with you! . . . I entrust myself to you so much that I am willing to become a partner with you in serving any new life that may come from this act."

So many don't realise how destructive to marriage contraception is.

Related link: How contraception destroys love

Comments