Skip to main content

Friday Night Free For All [Updated]

Comments are now closed.

Comments

  1. Hi all - Thank god it's nearly the end of the year...

    Has anyone seen Barnsley lately? I said something to him I shouldn't have (long story) and although I apologised I've had no response. Just for the record I would like to again state that sorry things got outta hand and I'd like to know he's not too pissed off with me.

    On a less blogocentric note I've noticed this has been a particularly hard year on a lot of people. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucyna.Hope your day went well?
    G'day Robinson. I imagine BB is just very busy this time of year.
    This certainly has been a hard year around here. Not much progress on several fronts, despite great efforts. Like swimming through treacle...
    Two people working different shifts doesn't help much either.
    But...it's warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, KG I know what you mean about treacle. I'm trying to put a few projects to bed before the break and I'm finding everyone I'm dealing with just kinda can't be bothered which just makes it even harder to want to keep going but I don't want to go into the break with stuff hanging over my head. Got any special plans for the weekend bro (sis?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not much--we're both working. Get my car ready for sale, tidy up the blog.
    Exciting life, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I blame the government!

    Rick,
    Canterbury

    On a less blogocentric note I've noticed this has been a particularly hard year on a lot of people. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds pretty nice to me - I could do with a bit of chilling myself. Sorry about the "sis" comment - I hadn't checked your profile and "kg" ain't the most telling handle in terms of gender. I didn't mean anything by it bro. I notice you're into classic cars - not selling a nice one I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also blame the government !

    So New Zealand 's political system will probably remain autocratic for the foreseeable future , with a facade of democracy .

    Kind regards , dry river fisherman , pump that water - Canterbury tit pullers !

    ReplyDelete
  8. you up to much tonight, dad?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I am Michael I am just about to supervise a birthday party for my daughters friend .

    Long night expected , but all in good fun , enjoy your evening .
    Cheers m8

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will do, look after yourself bro.

    ReplyDelete
  11. RB, what's the problem bro? I haven't talked to you for a long time. Y'know I almost miss you. Anyway I thought you were a libertarian bro? Isn't that all about self-focus. Nah, don't answer that - I'm not in a mood for biff and anyway, I like FNFFA 'cos it's about taking the gloves off (and by the way thanks guys for providing that forum). So RB bro, are you going away for Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I just realised I'd corrupted a metaphor. By take the gloves off I meant to put them aside and have a yarn. It's been a long week...

    ReplyDelete
  13. errr...did I walk into the middle of a gunfight?

    ReplyDelete
  14. D4, Get a grip mate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Honestly bro, I don't quite know what just happened. Anyway um, classic cars, um, any particular marque?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like it.
    Whose side can I be on?

    ReplyDelete
  17. gunfight kg I don't think so yet as this Michael Porter robinsodin is talking gloves and a boxing match is on . At least I will win that !!Left , right , left . Call a doc thanx .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mercedes, R. Nice and simple, cheap spares.
    I dunno, Rick--maybe we ought to get blue helmets?

    ReplyDelete
  19. George, my vantage point is different . Sorry to offend , I will redraw my attack on this Porter chap .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Robinson, I don't like you, I don't like your politics, and I don't like reading the comments (mostly self serving false apologies) of someone like you in a forum that's usually pleasant to read. Maybe the other participants feel that there's something that justifies having you stink up this forum. I don't agree with that view. I'm not the kind who forgives and forgets, and I say you should spend your time with your own kind.

    Keith- I sent an excerpt from your blog to a well known radio host and he liked it immensely. Talked about it on air for a long time, and the next day's show was more or less focused on the issues raised in your blog post. Keep up the good work mate, its one of the best reads in the blogosphere.

    Luce- apologies for the bad language. Just thought I'd pop in for a look, and what do I see but this narcissitic drop kick all over the damn place. Yech.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Dad, I didn't mean it like that. Anyway it's "Porton" (with an "n"). I figure if I'm outed it might as well be accurate... I'm sorry if I've upset you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Redbaiter, that's so cool! Many thanks for that, and the kind words.
    Thought any more about becoming a contributor, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Talking of cars Michael Schumacher took a cabbie in Berlin for a hair raising ride or in his trembling words "The way he shifts gear,the way he overtakes and goes into corners - it's just not normal ."

    I am a great fan of the German legend .

    ReplyDelete
  24. Evening all. Nice night here in Westie Auckland.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  25. KG - Mercs? Nice. I had a thing for rovers for a while but I'm working on a sixties holden right now (or at least I'm s'posed to be - I'm not getting much time in the workshop lately).

    RB - If that's how you feel that's fine. I'll leave it up to Zen and Lucyna to ban me if they want to. Though I'd rather they didn't 'cos I kinda like them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A nice cool evening in the high country. We have had some good soaking rain which should save some pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gday Grant. Overcast, humid and warm here in the Wairarapa.
    Mercs are cheap. R.It's possible to buy a good old car for not a lot of money right now.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't think its a matter of being banned and I'm sure that th eblog owners are not thinking that way. I just don't know why you'd want to be here. It seems to me like an attempt to show you're in reality, politics aside, not such a bad guy. I don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Keith- I'd like very much to contribute. Thought about it tonight actually, when I read the link below on Climate Change Taxation. Really pissed me off. I dunno when people are going to wake up to this scam, and when they're going to realise just how much they're going to have to pay. Trouble is I'm pretty busy lately, and don't have the time or energy needed to present what has to be a pretty accurate and rational piece. I've just driven 1200 kilometres and flown for three hours, and about all I'm up to is shooting from the hip..:)

    http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.Blogs&ContentRecord_id=d5c3c93f-802a-23ad-4f29-fe59494b48a6&Issue_id=

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well, RB whenever you feel ready, drop me a line and I'll give you the necessary info to post. Or post it for you under your name.
    It'd be a pleasure to have you aboard CR. :-

    ReplyDelete
  31. Climate change is liberal empire hip science . Al Gore is fill of crap and the UN is corrupt .
    God help us .

    ReplyDelete
  32. RB - I want to be here because I actually like a lot of the people here and I share their outlooks. Certainly not politically to be fair, but in terms of some pretty fundamental ontological stuff, yes. Folk like Lucyna have the mystery and I have dasein. I believe they are different philosophical expressions of the same phenomenological experience. Again, the interpretation we bring to this situation leads to different politics but, at base, I recognise a similar human impulse and I hope they see the same. It may surprise you to think of me as human but I am.

    Now having got all of that out of the way. KG - I don't know a lot about mercs bro but I would've thought the parts weren't that cheap. Is there a bit of an after market spares thing growing (I know I've been able to get some good repro parts for my holden quite cheap lately)?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Evening all. I see Redbaiter understands the point of the Friday night free-for-all thread just as clearly as all the other ones he posts on.

    Robinson wrote "On a less blogocentric note I've noticed this has been a particularly hard year on a lot of people. Any thoughts?"

    Only blogocentric ones, sorry! It's been a hard year blog-wise too - departure of Andrei, Lucyna and Zen from Sir Humphreys, followed by the forced eviction of the rest of us; Span giving it up completely; No Right Turn letting the lefty side down by turning off comments; it's been a bugger of a year, really. Still, most of us are still areound and posting, and NZConservative's doing very well, so it all turns out alright in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey Milt, I get the feeling we're all suffering form the emergence of continual campaign syndrome. And not just the political types - there's days I wish for something like peak-oil to come along and just slow things down. I fear we may be all racing each other to some kind of meltdown. I blame late-capitalism and the competitive use of technology ('scuse the Heidegger dig) but I'm sure some of you blame political correctness and the liberal media. Whatever it is it's doing a nice job of playing us off each other...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Evening PM. How's it going?
    I'm hoping Redbaiter will become a contributor in CR shortly, where he'll be able to vent his spleen to his heart's content. We share the same view of the Left, if not necessarily the same view of individual lefties.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Here's something apolitical. For some time I have been searching for a book. There's maybe one chance in a hundred thousand that someone here may know it.

    I don't know the author. I don't know the name of the book. I lent it some time ago and it was never returned. It was an extremely inspirational book.

    About a young guy who entered the deep wilderness alone somewhere in Canada or North America where he learned how to use an axe and make things from wood.

    He lived off the land, and eventually built himself a log cabin. As he grew older, he went out to civilization and somehow gained a wife, trekked with her back to his cabin and they raised a family there. One of the daughters became a world authority on (canadian?) geese. A fire destroyed their home but it was rebuilt. He built a sea plane from wood.

    Anyone know this book by any slim chance?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good evening folks. I'm just dropping in from Sydney tonight. I'm keen to go find some dinner after a long day in an office.

    I've quickly skimmed the thread, and there's too much for me to absorb in one go to form any sort of reasonable opinion - although my first reaction is to at least echo PM's thoughts on the blogosphere. There have been some seminal events in that regard, but change is pretty much a given I guess.

    Hey, it's just too hard to think right now. I'll grab some food and log back in much later, although with the 2 hour gap, it may be much quieter.

    Seasons Greetings all.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm sure he'll be an asset, KG. It seems to me the important thing with blogging is having plenty to say and having an unmistakable style - RB certainly has that. It also has the benefit that for once he'll be able to tell people to fuck off from a blog he actually contributes to...

    I was just saying to Adolf this morning Robinson, the year ahead will probably make 2005 look like a half-hearted warm-up. I don't remember politics being this mean-spirited and vindictive 20 years ago, but maybe that's just because I was concentrating on getting pissed back then.

    ReplyDelete
  39. "Evening all. I see Redbaiter understands the point of the Friday night free-for-all thread just as clearly as all the other ones he posts on."

    I don't think this is a place for Robinson to try and soften the self portrait he's painted. He's making out that what he writes here is not political, but in fact it is. He's trying to make the statement that underneath, left or right, we're all the same. We're not.

    I'm no pathologically immoral pseudo liberal, and I couldn't countenance the self deceit that goes with being one. There's no way there's any sub political humanistic similarity between myself and a leftist, and I reject Robinson's attempts to portray himself as underneath it all, some kind of down home guy when he's not, probably never has been, and I don't reckon ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've read that damn book and can't remember the title. Give me time..
    Evening Zen--hope you're enjoying Sydney. (not that we regard it as really part of Oz, more as just another big international city).
    The subject of the increasing polarization in politics is becoming interesting, PM. Civil debate is pretty rare now and each side blames the other.
    But I won't pollute FFFFA with my views on that..;-)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I guess we're not doing puns tonight then?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Yeah Milt, I'm a little worried about the fall out. I was talking to Irish about it the other night and we agreed (in a leftie kind of a way) that one of the watersheds of this new bitter way of doing things was Ansell's IWI/KIWI billboards and the "taxathon" ads. In some ways I think Ansell will go down as one of the key shapers of this smear-driven political discourse. I'm just worried it's gonna continue.

    RB - If you want to make me out to be some kind of essential evil so you can sleep soundly at night knowing you are doing god's work that's your prerogative. And I'm not a liberal. Liberals tolerate the memes spread by your ideology (and other extreme ideologies) even though they cause human suffering. I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yep Redbaiter, you've got to blog on a regular basis dude. Take up KG's offer.

    I love the way you aren't afraid of being pilloried and vilified by not acquiescing to the liberal-progressive social codes.

    Keep it up man, it is very inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  44. I quite like a pun, bro. And this is all getting a bit thick for a Friday night. Anyone got a decent Xmas joke? Please...

    ReplyDelete
  45. I quite like a punch, bro . Just one Sir .

    ReplyDelete
  46. "one of the watersheds of this new bitter way of doing things was Ansell's IWI/KIWI billboards and the "taxathon" ads."

    Funny, I thought the bitterness was started about the time that National cut benefits. Or was it when Labour closed down all the post offices, or when Muldoon almost ruined the country?

    Politics is a bitter business. It's just a case of if the guy who is bitter at present (i.e. loosing) has the ear of the media.

    "Liberals tolerate the memes spread by your ideology (and other extreme ideologies) even though they cause human suffering. I don't."

    Suffering like no food to buy in shops (due to government controls on prices) or suffering like mass murder (like various communists inflicted on the world over the last 80 years or so)?

    I just find it sooo ironic to hear a lefty talking about human suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Saved me the trouble, Scrub. Thanks, because I'm all out of politics at the moment.
    Good evening, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  48. WHart do you buy a a blogger who has just been outed at Christmas time

    A Portersod album.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I bought a teddy bear yesterday for $10. I named him Mohammed. Last night I sold him for $30. My question is, have I made a prophet?

    ReplyDelete
  50. No worries Robinson, it'll all work out in the end. I remember my headmaster telling us when things were going badly for National in 1977, we should support them because wild swings every election was instability that could lead to communism (our teacher reported him to the Min of Ed for that one!), but of course he was wrong. Then in 1981 we were all out throwing stuff at the cops and the PM wouldn't have been wise to show his face, but that all passed too. And I worked with a guy who'd spent months without pay in 1951 as a miner, while on sympathy strike in support of the Watersiders - nothing bad that's happened to me or NZ in the last 30 years even comes close to that one. Things will get nasty, but it's all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Scrubone - I'm not interested in you gaming. I should never have responded to RB either. I wasn't talking about the actual political situation (we'll never agree on that) but about the change in how political PR is conducted in NZ. Look, it's friday night bro, I don't want to get involved in the whole to and fro thing. Save it for tomorrow on the standard or some other place, eh?

    Anyway I heard a very good dumb joke the other day.

    Q: What's orange and sounds like a parrot?

    A: A carrot!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Q: What did Mickey Mouse get for Christmas?

    A: A Winston Peters watch.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I see I was 20 minutes too late with that one - no more politics then.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Ouch!
    "A DRUNKEN man urinating through a fence got a nasty surprise when a playful puppy in the adjoining lot latched onto his member.

    Kann Veasna took a break from drinking wine at a street stall to relieve himself through a hole in a fence, according to news agency DPA.
    "It's undoubtedly sore now, but luckily it should still be useful to him in the future,'' a doctor was quoted as saying "

    ReplyDelete
  55. "(our teacher reported him to the Min of Ed for that one!)"

    teachers must be SO relieved those days are over.....

    ReplyDelete
  56. have I made a prophet?

    Not bad bro.

    ReplyDelete
  57. bed. Up at 0530 for work tomorrow. And Sunday.
    G'night all. Have a good weekend.Thanks for the chat.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Q ;What is the Helen Clark master mind competition called ?

    A ; The weakest stink .

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thanks for your kind comments Grant. I came back to NZ in 1999 and was astonished at how the left had turned it into a fortress, and amazed at how meekly NZers had succumbed.

    I happened to be passing by in Auckland before the election, and the ACT bus was there with Richard and Rodney, and they were trying to talk about their policies to a screaming horde of ignorant leftist Bolsheviks who wouldn't let them get one word out. Here was a political party promoting small government, individual responsibility, self reliance, and liberal social attitudes, and they were being viciously attacked and shouted down by a mob of ignorant Marxist/ Stalinist totalitarian thugs who had mostly originated from the local UNIVERSITY.

    I knew immediately that the country was in deep trouble, and since then, I've seen little to challenge that initial impression. What I saw inspired me to do what little I have done to counter the influence of the left, and to awaken NZers to what is happening to what was once such a great little country.

    I'll go on doing it, as we all must. Like ripples spreading outwards on a pond, we must all attempt to influence at least one or two people, and in the end, we will win NZ back.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Jeez RB, you really murdered this thread, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  61. You pathetic coward. False allegations are always all you filthy lowlife vermin ever have. Last few FFFFAs were a lot less in comment volume than this one. Why don't you just go back to your ignorant pathologically immoral smearing sneering uneducated uncivilized thug mates at KBB and The Standard. Stop trying to be a real person. Your presence here and your creepy attempts at normality just makes you look more of a repugnant cretin, and fouls up what might otherwise be an interesting and friendly exchange. I'll be back here next Friday if I'm able, and I hope to hell you've got the message by then. This is NZ Conservative. Not NZ totalitarian thugs.

    ReplyDelete
  62. Yeah, this Robinson/Robonsod/Mike Porton - whoever he is, lark of attempting to act like a civil human being is all rather creepy.

    Leftists are hate filled zealots who hide behind a mask of compassion. They have no rational ideology, only a highly smug sense of moral superiority, a matching condescending attitude and a willingness to say absolutely anything, no matter how dishonest or contradictory in order to gain control of the debate and ultimately inflict their will on everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hello everyone.

    Sorry I wasn't around last night to referee. I can see that I'm going to have to link to a Friday Night Free For All code of behaviour for the future.

    RB. A little self-control here would not go astray.

    I'm going to close off comments now so that no one came come back and continue the argument.

    ReplyDelete