Skip to main content

How much time do we have?

Last week, on Monday, my husband attended the funeral of a woman we had both gotten to know from church. She had died the previous Thursday, and we only knew of her death when we saw her listed in the recently deceased section of the weekly bulletin. We'd noticed she hadn't been there for the last month or so, but the finality of her death was still a surprise.

I'm going to miss her colourful, cheerful presence. Even though she was suffering from the cancer that she had been fighting, she still was able to uplift the people around her.

Rest in Peace, Nomaza.

Which had made me think, what a grace it is to be diagnosed with terminal cancer. Sure, it's a death sentence, so to speak. But at least you have time to arrange your affairs, say goodbye and clean your soul. Even offer up your suffering for the good of others. For sudden death, does not allow that. One moment everything is fine, and the next, you're dead. Such as for those in the recent earthquake in Christchurch.

Just goes to show that no one really knows how much time they have left.

Every moment is precious, don't waste it.

Comments

  1. Luke 12:16-20

    16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

    17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

    18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

    19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

    20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saint Mary of the Angels was full, because she had touched so many people in such a good way. I know she would have been very happy to see such a good turnout, and possibly a wee bit surprised.

    I'm going to miss that big smile, her wonderful voice and her quiet dignity and majesty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.