Skip to main content

Cruelty and fifteen minutes

I guess Thirteen year old Rebecca Black badgered her parents into fronting up the money for a vanity video, produced by the Ark Music Factory.

A song was provided, "Friday" and electronic wizardry, including autotune, applied to Rebecca's voice to disguise missed notes and other deficiencies.

But nothing could really save it from being a trainwreck, the lyrics alone are beyond inane, the tune banal and the video derivative.

But the damn thing has gone viral - its popularity derived from its sheer awfulness.

And this is Rebecca Black's fifteen minutes of fame, and I'll bet she is not enjoying them one little bit as her foray into pop music is lampooned by everybody from CNN to the Sydney Morning Herald.

I just can't get past the fact that this is a thirteen year old child being savaged by adult journalists and how much that has got to hurt.

Comments

  1. Saw this comment on Yahoo....
    -------
    I listened to this song so I could make an informed decision about it. Informed decisions are fully overrated. If I could get back this 3 something minutes of my life I would use it to gouge my ears out so I wouldn't run the risk of hearing this song again. Someone stop this idiocy, this is not..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't get past the fact that this is a thirteen year old child being savaged by adult journalists and how much that has got to hurt.

    Which is, of course, an excellent reason for posting it here and giving even more adults a chance to lampoon her.

    Sometimes some things are better left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LRO

    Well considering that this story has appeared on large numbers of new outlets, including TV3 I think my modest contribution to its spread will have little impact in terms of promulgating it more widely

    But perhaps a reader or two will see beyond this superficial story and feel some empathy for this child who could end up quite damaged by all of this. Hopefully not but fun at at others expense can extract quite a high price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a hard world out there, itll be a painful lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its terrible, but frankly no worse than 90% of pop music.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.