Skip to main content

Double Standards at The Hand Mirror [update]

[update] I have just been informed that it was two different people on The Hand Mirror posting about the abortion rally and the abortion of calves. It remains to be seen whether their views on these issues coincide, but I would be very surprised if they have different viewpoints on these issues. Until then, I am acknowledging that these are different blog authors.

Well, I don't know what to say really.
On Sunday, the blogger at feminist blog The Hand Mirror did a post encouraging her supporters to protest outside the Court of Appeal in Wellington today to stand up for their right to abortion. She is horrified that women have to jump through so many hoops in order to procure an abortion -
Our current law requires women to jump through many hoops before they can get access to abortion. Join the demo to demand that the current law is repealed, rather than interpreted more conservatively.
Then today, she has another post in which she is "appalled" at the practice of some farmers aborting calves so that cows will start milk production earlier. An article describing it "really had her fuming". She says -
i wonder if the practice of farming itself causes some people to become desensitised, as a coping mechanism. i could understand that. but this is more reason to have scrutiny of what goes on at the farm, particularly by those who aren't so directly involved in the processes. transparency can only be a good thing when it comes to ensuring animals are treated humanely.
I wonder if the common practice of abortion of human babies leaves her and some of the population "desensitized"? It sure seems to. I just can't fathom how someone can be so outraged by the practice in cows, and yet encourages the abortion of human babies as a woman's choice.

As it turns out, only about 50 women showed up outside the court today, chanting "Hey mister, mister keep your laws off my sister". Er, OK. I would have shouted back, "keep your hands off my unborn sister"

Comments

  1. "OK. I would have shouted back, "keep your hands off my unborn sister""

    Haha no you wouldn't have! Don't be silly. You're a coward. You'd never have the courage to front up at a pro-choice rally. It's so much easier to just get all red in the face and hysterical on your silly little blog. Actions speak a whole lot louder than words buddy. But I understand why you're afraid. It's a bit harder to spew your hate when you're face to face with the women you loathe right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, you're right - I wouldn't have, because anti-abortion protests are peaceful, for the most part, with those in favour of life silently praying outside clinics. Pro-lifers generally don't get all "red-faced" and self righteous and bleating hysterically about their rights and shouting slogans the way pro-abortionists do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "It's a bit harder to spew your hate when you're face to face with the women you loathe right?"

    I'm quite happy to talk with you, or anyone else who disagrees with my about views on abortion face to face. In fact feel free to Skype me and we can chat over that about it.

    If you email me at tess(at)kaos(dot)net(dot)nz I'll send you my skype details or my phone number.

    As for actions... I'm a Billings Ovulation Method teacher. This is a tool to give women ethical control over their fertility.

    Also, the person who posted about the farming is different to the person who posted about the abortion rally. I don't think it's fair to conflate their views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, the person who posted about the farming is different to the person who posted about the abortion rally. I don't think it's fair to conflate their views.

    Fair enough point - I didn't realize that. I will alter my post to refelct that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. Stargazer who posted about the cows is Anjum Rahman and she's a Muslim. I'm not entirely sure what Islam teaches about abortion though, or her personal views.

    Maia has described herself as anti-spiritualist and she has said that she hates religion.

    Clearly these women have very different views.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But I understand why you're afraid.

    Wrong choice of words. Which illustrates you have no idea whatsoever why I find abortion so depressing.

    It's a bit harder to spew your hate when you're face to face with the women you loathe right?

    There's no loathing involved here. I just find it sad that a life is willfully terminated, whatever the stage of life it is at. It's really that simple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have to believe in the right to abortion to post at the hand mirror.

    ZT: isn't it incredible that the other side spends so much time deciding what we think, rather than actually listening to what we have to say?

    It's been a few years since I attended a pro-life protest, but as I recall the pro-death'ers were out in force chalking up inflamatory hateful slogans on the sidewalk.

    Honestly, when you've got people like that calling the civil discourse you find here "hate" you've got people who have lost all sense of meaning.

    Which is as sad as someone who wants the right to kill another human being, bought into the world by their voluntary actions, simply so they can avoid a few months of inconvenience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, there's a serious emotional disconnect when you sanction a mother killing her own child. Personal autonamy just isn't absolute - somehow this translates into hating women.

    I honestly don't understand the pro-abortion position. I mean I see their rationalisation for it, but it just doesn't connect with me at all. Baby - death, mother - bad nine months. A mother's job is to make sacrifices for her child. If people want to avoid pregnancy 100% then they either have to sterilize themselves or avoid sexual intercourse. Avoiding conception is easily done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.