Skip to main content

New Zealand Day Tomorrow


I heard on the radio today that many years ago Robert Muldoon was responsible for New Zealand Day being renamed Waitangi Day. I'm probably one of the few people that actually celebrate the day, but not for what it supposedly stands for country wide, but for the fact that my oldest son was born on that day eighteen years ago after two days of labour. It was a momentous event for me, and for my son, well, it's his birthday.

Which leads me to the idea that a day can be anything we want it to be. I've been hearing a lot over the years about New Zealand needing a special New Zealand Day and how Waitangi Day is not really a cause for celebration because of the debacles at Waitangi, year after year. Well, why not ignore all that and do what the Aotearoa New Zealand people are trying by sheer repetition, hoping the name will stick, why not call tomorrow New Zealand Day? Why not treat it like New Zealand Day? Why not?

For me, Feb 6. is always going to be my oldest son's birthday, but I can add other meanings to it.

New Zealand Day - lets do it!

Comments