Skip to main content

Eve's Bite

My pre-order for Ian Wishart's Eve's Bite has arrived and I am reading it with a view to a review. But in true blogging style, my review will be delivered over a series of posts, for all the reasons I blog. And the comments will therefore form part of the review process, hopefully allowing me to write up a summary eventually.

Before I get into my thoughts around this book, I'm opening up the conversation by pulling out one of the many little thought nuggets Ian has throughout the book. This one grabbed my attention, and represents a major theme in the book:
Because if you examine the evidence in this book, secularism is far less tolerant of dissent than Christianity...Christianity tolerates secularism, but secularism does not tolerate Christianity (pg96)
But whilst the book attempts to prove that thought, it could still do with further discussion (unless this comes later in the book). Any comments?

Comments

  1. I bought my copy of the book while I was out today. I will begin reading it tonight.

    I think the quote is valid; in fact, one might go so far as to say that secularism tolerates every other form of religion *except* Christianity, whilst promoting fad 'religions' like Kabbalah or new-age stuff like Scientology.

    It's OK to follow those, but Christianity seems to be less popular somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't this thesis expounded in "How to Win The Culture War" by Boston philosopher Peter Kreeft?

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0830823166/theofficiapet-20

    http://www.peterkreeft.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kreeft is quoted on page 9 of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kreeft is indeed a very intelligent fellow.

    I think what Ian is trying to say is that if the universe has no meaning, it is impossible that we should discover it to be so. One does not go seriously looking for things that do not exist.

    Zen
    What does the blurb say the object of the book is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr Tips, you can see the front and back covers, plus some sample pages here - http://www.evesbite.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.