Skip to main content

Another Polish Movie

So Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson have made a Tintin movie. I dunno I've watched the trailer and it don't seem very Tintinish to me. A rip roaring yarn maybe but does it capture the essence and magic of Tintin? We will see

Yesterday Lucia posted a trailer for Bitwa Warszawska or Warsaw Battle 1920 by Polish filmaker Jerzy Hoffman and that looks far more to my taste rather than Spielbergian eyecandy, which maybe dazzling perhaps in execution but of little substance.

In any case the post from yesterday reminded me of this Jerzy Hoffman film I saw some years ago (and no Lucia it did not as far as I know see a New Zealand release). A scene from the film With Fire and Sword (Ogniem i Mieczem - a famous work of Polish literature which you can get in English translation) This scene recreates the battle of Battle of Zhovti Vody fought between the Poles and Cossacks who were allied with the Crimean Tarters long long long ago.

This is a great scene.

Ukrainians do not like this book because of the way it portrays them and even the movie caused some anguish when it was released but literature is what it is a product of the times in which it was written.

Comments