Skip to main content

Richard Dawkins latest project

The evangelist of Atheism has a new initiative, a support group for priests and pastors who no longer believe.

Complete with testimonies, a protestant idea I believe - this one from "Lynn" a Methodist minister
“I resisted my doubts at first, but the nagging in my brain wouldn’t stop. So I embarked on a journey of researching and discovering that what I had believed for so long wasn’t true.
I’m still in the pulpit, as I stated above. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I made a commitment to my church and my denomination to serve this appointment. Second, the financial issue. If I walk away now, my family will suffer greatly…Every week I struggle with the fact that I’m lying when I stand before my congregation. I’m leading a double life.”
Sigh

All of the above would be answered by this

Comments

  1. So I embarked on a journey of researching

    That's great if you want to find out a bit more about cell division, but a journey of prayer would have been more useful.

    Every week I struggle with the fact that I’m lying when I stand before my congregation. I’m leading a double life.”

    Second, the financial issue.

    So without faith, she knows she can't count on her husband to provide; she can't count on finding a job, so she counts on the money from those who remain faithful. Ironic.

    As a declared atheist, she is doing a great job of setting a low moral standard.

    But she wont leave because: I made a commitment to my church and my denomination to serve this appointment.

    What selectivity! She also made a committment to God when she became a priest, but that has gone out of the window. If she cared about the committment to her church, she wouldn't publicly come out against it. She'd retire quietly. She's using this to help herself appear righteous and moral, but is failing miserably.

    She needs some help and spiritual direction. Instead, she's fled to Dawkins.

    She's had a crisis of faith, and I suspect the fundamentalist atheists see her simply as cannon fodder to use against people of faith. I guess if you need validation for your decision, the temptation to hang out with fundamentalists must be attractive. I wonder how comfortable she'll feel when exposed to some of the hatred towards religion that such groups foster? Might ultimately bring her back....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.