Thursday, November 24, 2011

Fletch Bye Bye Borders :(


Dammit...
Got an email update today from Borders bookstore saying that they are leaving New Zealand.

Goodbye and thanks. Borders NZ bids you a fond farewell. But fear not! Whitcoulls will continue to fly the flag for great book deals.
A sad day..
Borders always had such a huge selection of stuff, and a lot of imports from America that we just didn't see in other stores. I loved going in and browsing in there. Yes, we still have Whitcoulls, but their selection has always seemed quite small to me. I guess that with the advent of ordering via the internet that brick-and-mortar stores can't afford to physically bring in a huge selection of the latest books, or keep a lot of older stock.

I have my Kindle reader, of course, but with some kinds of books you need the physical version.

So bye bye Borders. Sad to see you leave...

4 comment(s):

FAIRFACTS MEDIA said...

The Borders in York, England, closed recently too.
I guess they are in global trouble.

Lucia Maria said...

That is sad. NZ's book selections are woeful, and from what I saw the few times I went into Borders was a much better selection.

I.M Fletcher said...

Yes, the selection is woeful in NZ stores. For instance, I was looking for a book on Abraham Lincoln one time; Borders had a huge variety on him, from Doris Kearns Goodwin's Team Of Rivals to Ronald C White Jr's The Eloquent President (which analyses his speeches), and many in-between.

If I were to look for something like that in Whitcoulls, I'd be completely out of luck. You'd be lucky to find even one book.

I know that Amazon has a "look inside" feature that lets you see some of the pages inside a book, but it's not the same as physically picking up a book and looking through it.

A real, real shame...

Lucia Maria said...

For me the test has always been Catholic books. Your typically bookshop here in NZ will only have anti-Catholic books, or anti-Christian books. You cannot get a Catholic book here (except for the Pope's recent books on Jesus).

I think most of the books I've bought over the last few years have been from Amazon. Hardly ever buy local any more.

I know what you mean about wanting to flick through the books, but the reviews can give you a good idea of how good the book is. I always read them.

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.