Skip to main content

It is only a building, a pile of rocks and stones

A Cat among the pigeons
Christ Church Cathedral has been issued with a demolition notice in a move criticised as "appalling" and "profoundly disturbing".

The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) issued the full demolition notice on Friday afternoon, just hours after a press conference where cathedral leaders announced plans for partial demolition and work to make the earthquake-damaged building safe.
I wonder how many of those who find this "appalling" and "profoundly disturbing" actually used this building for the purpose for which it was built?

The heritage we are loosing my friends is not built out of bricks and mortar - no.

The valuable heritage that is disappearing before our very eyes is our Christian Heritage itself.

Do I care about Christchurch Cathedral? - well it is kind of sad to see its end but not nearly as sad as living in a culture that has turned its face from God and its back on its really important heritage. And without the faith that built it in the first place it is a big nothing.

Source: Cera gives Christ Church Cathedral ultimatum

Comments

  1. The faith is there, it's just dormant. There are so many Baptised Christians here in New Zealand that just need something to wake them up. Probably the loss the Cathedral is subconsciously disturbing them because of that dormant faith. I'm sure the building symbolises all the possibilities of faith for many people and even though they don't practise they will feel it's loss when it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many Baptised Christians here in New Zealand ...

    Yes, and so many of them are baptised without their consent, before they have reached and age when thwey could study the evidence and make an informed choice.

    Hey, I'm one of them. I was baptised CofE, not because of any family church affiliation, but simply because at the time it was the "done thing" and my father was an Englishman. I had no choice, but I also have no memory of the act, so carry no scars from being marked by the sign of the torture symbol.

    But I do agree with andrei; it is just a pile of stone, an apparently underinsured pile that the church will now attempt to pick the pockets of Cantabrians to rebuild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LRO,

    As I told the commenters on the Dim-Post, Baptism leaves a mark on your soul that identifies you as belonging to Christ. This mark can never be erased. Your Baptism, to a certain extent, protects you from evil. So it may have been done without your consent, but you have gained great benefit from it even though you have renounced your faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucia Maria said...
    LRO,

    As I told the commenters on the Dim-Post, Baptism leaves a mark on your soul
    which I don't have that identifies you as belonging to Christ. Even though I did not consent to this "belonging". This mark can never be erased. No, because it never existed in the firstb place. Your Baptism, to a certain extent, protects you from evil. how so? So it may have been done without your consent, but you have gained great benefit from it even though you have renounced your faith. How can I renounce that which I never had?

    How odd of god that he is happy to accept me when I have not given my consent, but the moment I use my reason to decide I don't want any part of god he will hound me to the ends of the earth and inflict eternal torment on me.

    And you claim "god is love" Don't make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you didn't get vaccinated for MMR without your consent then LRO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LRO,

    Ok then, no faith. You are renouncing your Baptism, then.

    Eternal torment is not inflicted upon you - you are choosing it yourself. By rejecting God, by wanting to be as far away from Him as possible means that you will be in a place where God keeps Himself from you - that place is Hell. The biggest torment there is the knowledge of this absolute and total separation from God chosen freely by the soul in question.

    He will hound you to the ends of the earth because He doesn't want you to end up there, He didn't make you for Hell. But if want no part of Him, being anywhere else will cause even more torment, so Hell is a mercy, as bad as it is.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please be respectful. Foul language and personal attacks may get your comment deleted without warning. Contact us if your comment doesn't appear - the spam filter may have grabbed it.