Skip to main content

The unconcious truth

There are some unpalatable truths buried in the excerpt below
A Christchurch woman, whose hand was nearly severed in a machete attack, made a "horrendous" decision to terminate her pregnancy.

Mother-of-two Samantha Ericson, 39, was attacked at her Hornby home in March. Her left hand was almost cut off in the bloody assault.

(Snip)

Ericson was also shocked to discover she was five weeks pregnant a few weeks after the attack.

She was concerned she would not be able to care for the child because of her injuries and worried it might suffer birth defects given the amount of drugs she was on, and decided to have an abortion.

"It was a huge decision. What do I do now? If the baby came out normal I didn't know if I'd be able to hold it. Would I be able to do daycare of that child, the way my hand is? There were a lot of ifs. It was huge. The two children I have mean the absolute world to me," she said.

"To have to bury one of them [her unborn child] was horrendous. It's something I need to live with for the rest of my life."

Source: Anxious victim ends pregnancy

Comments