Skip to main content

Judgement Sunday

For the past two Sundays I have been discussing the Sundays of the Triodion, that is the Sundays leading up to Lent and the particular lessons the Eastern Church has for these Sundays

Today is called Judgement Sunday and it is about something that we might prefer not to think about and that is that we all will face the Final Judgement some day

We read of the Judgement in todays Gospel Matthew 25:31-46, of the seperation of the sheep from the goats and we earnestly pray that we might be amongst the sheep

I have been asked by Western Christians from time to time "are you saved?". For me the answer is "I hope to be" for unlike those who ask that question I do not believe that salvation is a given thing that you can assume, rather it is a life long process with stumbles as falls along the way.

We are given a key to acheiving salvation in today's Gospel however

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

And the hymn we will sing turns our minds to the Judgement

When You, O God, shall come to earth with glory,
All things shall tremble
And the river of fire shall flow before Your judgment seat;
The books shall be opened and the hidden things disclosed!
Then deliver me from the unquenchable fire,
And make me worthy to stand at Your right hand, righteous Judge!

Comments